Spotify Wraps Up the Year

Spotify recently released their yearly Spotify Wrapped of most popular music.

AP Images/Star Max

Spotify recently released their yearly “Spotify Wrapped” of most popular music.

Leah Feitshans, Staff Writer

Every year in early December, since 2016, Spotify has released their annual Spotify wrapped. Spotify Wrapped is a viral marketing campaign by Spotify. The campaign allows Spotify users to view a compilation of data about their activity on the platform over the past year, then invites them to share it on social media.

On Spotify, the most streamed song globally is Olivia Rodigo’s, “Driver’s License” with more than 1.1 billion streams. Her album Sourwas also big with 2.69 billion streams, surpassing Justin Bieber. Spotify Wrapped is noted for finding themes and trends in listeners’ music patterns, wrapping up of the year with nostalgia for its user base.

Spotify Wrapped alone is always the biggest hype to end the year. People post their Spotify wrapped to show their friends their most streamed artist and songs. It I common to make it a competition to see who listened to a certain artist the most. Whether it’s them being in the top 2% or 0.5%.

GBHS students reported various top artists ranging from The Beatles, Tyler, The Creator, Morgan Wallen, Shawn Mendes, and more.

Many social media platforms have taken up this campaign, one of them being YouTube. YouTube Music launched a feature called, “2021 Recap’ which shows users their top artist, songs, music videos, and playlist from this year. Same with Apple Music having their annual “Apple Music 2021 Replay.”

Spotify Wrapped is shared widely on social media each year, and often results in millions of people promoting spotify on varioussocial media accounts. Its release in early December each year has historically correlated with a boost to Spotify’s app store ranking.