November Artists of the Issue

Artwork by Alex Peavy

Belle Keel, Features Editor

Alex Peavy is Gulf Breeze High School senior in Mrs. Day’s first and second period classes. Mrs. Day enthusiastically recommended Peavy for the next artist of the issue when I inquired about recent outstanding students.

“She just makes these amazing pieces in such a fleeting time; she can finish one whole canvas in a single class period.” says Mrs. Day. Alex has been drawing, doodling, and designing creative new pieces for as long as she can remember. In her own self-deprecating way, she told me that her initial motivation for becoming a talented artist was “to be better at art than a friend of mine.” Of course, she was incredibly young when she first started to seriously work on her art skills.

Naturally, Alex has grown out of this silly competition and is now practicing her art for her own enjoyment and future.

Alex’s self-proclaimed style is “comic book and fairytail-ish” while some others describe it as “western anime illustration.” All of her art is extremely eye-catching with its bright colors, vivid highlights, and sharp detail. In fact, she pays so much attention to detail that she will sometimes hide “Easter eggs” in her pieces, like the five hidden mushrooms in the piece pictured above.

Her favorite materials to use are sharpies, white out (for the highlights), and alcohol-based markers. Alex dreams of becoming a comic book artist and based on the astonishing work I have seen she will have no trouble at all achieving her goals.

Isabelle Curd is an aspiring senior potter in Mrs. Hoffman’s fourth period class. She has been seriously practicing her pottery skills since she was a GBHS sophomore, however she has been creating various art pieces for as long as she can remember.

Mrs. Hoffman excitedly told me about many of the pots, jars and an assortment of other creations which Isabelle has made recently, explaining how impressive she finds Isabelle’s work.

Isabelle’s main artistic passion is pottery, she likes the big, curvy, organic shapes and the freedom she has to make something amazing out of nothing but clay and her own creativity. She is currently competing in the Gulf Coast Show and putting some of her best pieces out for public display.

Most of her inspiration comes from other pieces she sees on Instagram which she replicates with her own personal touches. One of her biggest challenges is her own ambitious standards for her work, “I’m very picky and a huge perfectionist especially with minute details.” she says with a grin.

She often finds herself caught in the endless loop of fixing mistakes and finding new ones. I saw some of her work and was astonished by her creativity and beauty displayed uniquely in each piece.