Debate Advances from Dallas

Belle Keel, Features Editor

Recently the GBHS debate team participated in the Dallas town debate tournament in Pennsylvania.

In the tournament there are Four rounds: Speech, Lincoln Douglass, public forum, and congress.

Brody Mills is in public forum, “I joined because it sounded fun, and it provided an unusual academic challenge.” “My favorite part of debate is actively participating in an argument because it forces me to think on my feet.”

One month in advance the contestants will create a convincing argument either for or against a topic, in this case the topic given was, “should we regulate cryptocurrency?” After they have concluded their persuasive arguments, they spend time practicing arguing their topic with each other.

Once the long-awaited day has arrived, the competitors are assigned a side of the cryptocurrency debate. The Gulf Breeze High School debate students performed quite well at the tournament.

A few honorable mentions from the debate competition: Hailey Ward and Ty Risola broke to semis in the Public Forum Debate, ranking 3rd place. Thomas Bruce took 2nd place in Informative Speaking and 3rd place in Humorous Interpretation. Johnathan Pollitt and Andrew Nettles took 2nd place in Duo Interpretation. Zella Tavai took 3rd place in Oral Interpretation.