Whacky Holiday Traditions

Belle Keel, Features Editor

With winter comes a multitude of holidays, whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, we all have some whacky traditions!

I interviewed many students and uncovered some extraordinary family traditions. Some people like, Gwyn Mckeithen’s family Celebrates by eating a feast of Chinese food to commemorate their time living in China.

Another hilarious food related tradition is when Morgan Leibowitz dresses up his wiener dog as a hot dog.

A fascinating practice that I had never even heard of is the “Christmas tree pickle tradition.” This tradition consists of hiding a fake pickle ornament in the Christmas tree and whoever finds it gets a reward whether it be an extra present or being allowed to open their presents first.

A new take on the traditional star at the top of the tree is when Danah Mcmullen’s dad puts a cutout of Harry Styles on top of the tree instead of a star.

My all-time favorite answer was from Lily Scott, who, years ago, had a way to ensure snow any day just by carrying out a few simple steps. First, you need a white plastic spoon, second you need an ice cube.

On Christmas eve Lily would put the spoon under her pillow and flush the ice down the toilet. If it did not snow the next day, she would be extremely surprised and disappointed and do it again the following night.