St. Patricks Day History

AP Images/John Minchillo

Pedestrians pass the Playwright Celtic Pub on Saint Patrick’s Day Wednesday, March 17, 2021, New York

Emily Walsh, Entertainment Editor

It’s time to pull out the Lucky Charms and green apparel because it is the month of St. Patrick’s Day. This holiday is more than just green clothes and leprechauns though. It has an interesting history that is waiting to be shared.

St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated every year on Mar 17. Many Irish people observe this as a religious holiday for over 1,000 years. Many Irish would spend this day by attending a church service in the morning and then celebrating with friends and family in the evening.

Sophomore, Jenna Klug, gave her thoughts on the holiday. She stated, “I do not really do anything for St. Patrick’s Day.” St. Patrick’s Day may not be as widely celebrated today in the United States, but in other countries and other time periods, this was a major holiday.

So, who is St. Patrick and why does he get his own holiday? St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland and was brought to the country as a slave when he was only sixteen years old. He did manage to escape, but he decided to return after a few years and was credited for bringing Christianity to the area.

It is said that the most well-known fact about St. Patrick is how he explained the concept of the Holy Trinity to the people. He used a four-leaf clover or a shamrock to instruct the people about it. The four-leaf clover is a native plant to Ireland.

It has been recorded that the first St. Patrick’s parade was held in St. Augustine, Florida and did not take place in Ireland. In 1848, a huge parade was held in New York City and started to become an annual parade. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, the parade has been cancelled for the past two years. There is hope that one the tradition of the parade will start again soon.

Another St. Patrick’s tradition takes place in the nation’s ‘Windy City.’ Every year the city of Chicago dyes their river green to honor the holiday. To make sure there is no environmental damage, they use forty pounds of dye and the river remains green for only a few hours.

St. Patrick’s Day has a very fascinating history and many special traditions still celebrated today. The festivities may not be the same as they used to, but it can still be celebrated in small ways. So, don’t forget to find the best green outfit and get ready for the ultimate green holiday.