Indoor Percussion Competition

Victoria Donahoo

Indoor percussion performed their show ‘POP’ at Tate High School.

Ryan Hoffman, Staff Writer

Following a year of Covid-19 restrictions and quarantines, the Gulf Breeze Indoor Percussion program has finally got back to performing shows competitively following last two years where the programs got cut short or downright did weren’t able to perform competitively as a result to the corona-virus outbreak.

And it was an all-around hit to the morale and musical capability of the group.However, with this year’s show, POP, the program had the opportunity to go and perform in competitions. And during the three local competitions, they received 2nd place every time, and got tenth in finals at a competition in Hattiesburg Mississippi.

With each showing new parts were added to the show. The first showing didn’t include parts three and four, and the next didn’t have props. But in the third and most important show at Hattiesburg is when it all came together, and the ensemble was at its best. And the last competition was an emotional time for seniors Korban Walsh, Jackson Mahar, Ariana Pedersen, Olivia Hoffman, and Maika Tran as it was their last competition for indoor with Gulf Breeze. During a heartfelt speech, the main instructor, Tyler Launcher, told the whole ensemble that he loves indoor percussion more than anything, and he is so proud of all the people who have joined and helped the program get back on track this year.

And he was so happy to see the program come together after about 6 months of constant practice. Senior Korban Walsh, their drum set player, exclaimed that he really enjoys doing indoor percussion with all his friends and helped make a great senior year for him.For those who do not know what indoor percussion even is, it is a show performed with only percussion instruments including drum line, symbols, and mallet instruments. Props and vi-sual actors are also included to help add story to the show. This year’s program included parts of the songs Pop goes the Weasel, Hot Butter, Pop by NSYNC, and Smooth Criminal by the king of pop himself, Michael Jackson.Even though the season is over, everyone that was a part of this year’s program enjoyed every rehearsal, every single Saturday spent perfecting their music, and every competition with each other. And this year was used to get back on their feet so in future years the program will thrive and become better than it is today.

Indoor percussion has spent many weeks practicing for the show. (Victoria Donahoo)