Moment of Silence

AP Images

After several failed attempts by lawmakers, Florida finally has a moment of silence.

Elle Bobb, Assistant Editor

A new school year often brings about standard practices for students; however, this year, many students have noticed a new morning ritual: the “moment of silence.” 

The “Moment of Silence in Public Schools” bill, signed into law by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis in June 2021, requires all K-12 Florida schools to set aside at least one minute, but no more than two, daily for a moment of silence.  

“We think it’s something that’s important to be able to provide each student the ability, every day, to be able to reflect and be able to pray as they see fit,” DeSantis said of the mandate. 

The law states, “in today’s hectic society, too few persons are able to experience even a moment of quiet reflection before plunging headlong into the activities of daily life.” 

“I really appreciate the new morning moment of silence,” GBHS senior Raven Price said. “It’s a nice way for religious students to pray without feeling judged or for all students to just take a minute each day and reflect.”  

Students are not the only ones being affected by the moment of silence. Earle McAuley, an English teacher at GBHS, said, “I like the concept, but I don’t like that it is a full two minutes.” 

For years, Florida Republicans failed to create a state law requiring the moment of silence. Many critics of the law argued that mandating a moment of silence in public schools may push a combination of church and state.  

DeSantis said of the law, “The idea that you can just push God out of every institution and be successful — I’m sorry, our founding fathers did not believe that.” 

Despite the Governor’s personal, religious framing of the law, the actual legislation states that “each public school [must] require teachers in first-period classrooms in all grades to set aside 1 to 2 minutes daily for a moment of silence.” The law also specifies that teachers “…may not make suggestions as to the nature of any reflection that a student may engage in during the moment of silence.” 

As the school year progresses, the potential benefits and shortcomings of the moment of silence are likely to become apparent.  

For now, the moment of silence remains a point of discourse both locally and statewide as students and faculty acclimate to the 2021-2022 school year.