GBHS Dress Code

Brindi Janey, Staff Writer

Brindi Janey, Staff Writer

“…we should be supporting other women and their bodies, not shaming or covering them up due to others ‘being distracted.'”

On August 27th a few students began a protest of dress code policies. Some sings which read “Stop Sexualizing Minors” we’re posted in the bathrooms and made their way to social media. While the staff did not really have a reaction to this protest, the students did, and it opened their eyes to the sexualization that we see in our high school today. Although dressing for the occasion is importantthat is not what this dress code is about.

Articles of clothing such as sweatpants, sweatshirts, and slippers are not prohibited by the staff. These are a few things that are prohibited: tank tops, crop tops, and tight clothing. While some find it difficult to say what clothing should and should not be allowed in a high school, the students here have their suspicions about the way the staff enforces dress codeThe biggest takeaway from this is to support other women and their bodies, not shame or cover them up due to others being distracted. 

A great idea that should be flourishing in Gulf Breeze High School is teaching people to be respectful of other bodies instead of forcing people to suppress expression and fun. A large part of being a teen around peers is gaining confidence. What better way to gain confidence than to wear the most beautiful outfit one own?. With dress code in place that confidence continues to be stripped from students, making it difficult to be true to oneself. The psychological affect of being denied self confidence can be detrimental, especially as a teenager.

Another question from the students is why the teachers have more of a say than their own parents over their clothing. Dress code was made to restrict and cover students  as if they are sexual beings. Ironically, adults are sexualizing these students by attempting to desexualize them, overall it is counterproductive and wrong. Not only does this sexualize women, it criminalizes men. The students are not the ones who are distracted and bothered by skin showing, the authority figures at the school are. 

My personal morals go against the sexualization of children, but so should everyone else’s. I believe that there should be more learning about respecting other bodies and choices made about their bodies at high schools rather than restricting.