Gulf Breeze High School: Home of the Silent Threat

Elle Bobb, Assistant Editor

Elle Bobb, Assistant Editor

“Empathy is the greatest human ability we possess. We should use it.”

On Thursday, Oct. 21st, students, parents and guardians of Gulf Breeze High School received a call from Principal Danny Brothers addressing, “… a report regarding the rumor of a threat of violence on the campus…” that allegedly was going to occur during a motivational speaker’s presentation at a school-wide assembly the following day. Obviously, this rumor stirred up concern from all parties involved – leaving GBHS nearly desolate on Friday, Oct. 22nd. Fortunately, no such threat came to pass. Unfortunately, the Gulf Breeze community has possibly missed a critical truth from this experience, while patting itself on the back for a threat well-conquered. The threat most certainly remains and it grows every day.

Instead of reflecting on why this particular threat occurred and what could be done to prevent any future incidents, most everyone – students and parents alike – are gearing up to sweep this under the rug. To those crying out for a return to the “norm” of GBHS, I tell you this: there is always another student. There is always another threat. The “norms” actively make sure of it. Treating this incident as if it was an anomaly is a disservice to all of us who walk these halls.

Gulf Breeze High School is a seemingly friendly place, but just like any other school – there is unity to be found within those who isolate others. Anyone who is different, anyone who deviates from a frankly outdated norm of behavior is mocked or isolated, if not both. Such behaviors foster anger and sadness for those who need peace and acceptance the most. Connection is imperative throughout all of life, but it is especially vital in the teenage years. Perhaps the isolation isn’t always malicious, but certainly at the end of the day – impact matters more than intent. As a community, we have room for improvement. We must meet the struggling students where they are by offering support and grace.

In a discussion of recent events on the GBHS parents Facebook group, GBHS parent Terry Hicks said, “A child who feels left out and different, for whatever the reason, deserves a smile even when they don’t return one. There are many out there in this world inside schools and out.” He also stated that, “One thing should never change … our children should always be guided to bring the light, the smiles and laughter to share and drown out the drama.”

The silent and mistreated continue to be ignored and brushed aside, unmoored in a community that would rather hide them under the metaphorical floorboards than understand them and welcome them in. I am not simply complaining with a pointed finger. I have dedicated my high school career leading clubs and organizations in a desperate attempt to create a sense of community for anyone who may be searching for it. I have worked inwardly and outwardly to be a place of refuge for any who seek me out. Although my contributions are good, they are not enough to combat the more unwelcoming parts within this school.

Gulf Breeze has the potential to be an outstanding place to live and go to school. In my experience – as a student of this school system for six years – it is not there yet. Major changes must be made in the way that we all interact with each other, both parents, guardians and students alike. We should take this opportunity to transform a potential tragedy into daily actions that make sure nothing like this happens again. There will always be a silent threat that looms over us. We must extend unity and understanding to everyone, no matter how they may differ from the majority. We must eliminate the ostracization and unkindness that finds its way into the GBHS halls. Empathy is the greatest human ability we possess. We should use it.

Students: you stayed home on Friday or your parents kept you home out of an abundance of caution – when in reality that was the day we, the students and faculty of GBHS, were likely the safest. What about next week or two months from now, when an unprotected, forgotten student has had one taunt or assault too many? Devastation will never come from the one in the spotlight, it will come from the ones pushed to the shadows.