Are Holidays Celebrated Too Early?  

Leah Feitshans, Staff Writer

The most popular American holidays are Halloween, Thanksgiving and, most popular, Christmas. For a lot of people, celebrating the holidays makes them happy. So naturally, the earlier they celebrate the better, right?  

People start celebrating Christmas either before Halloween or the day after and get their decorations on, taking the pumpkins out and the Christmas trees in. But, for a lot of people, this is a problem. Sophomore Ethan Horn said, “In my opinion, the only holiday celebrated too early is Christmas. I don’t need to hear Christmas music before Thanksgiving.”  

A lot of people get mad with the fact that many Christmas lovers completely skip the Thanksgiving holiday. Stores even start setting up their shelves with all Christmas related things, even before Halloween, and completely taking away and forgetting thanksgiving. There’s a good reason as to why people like celebrating early though.  

Christmas is the last month of the year. So, people must wait a whole year for this favorite holiday. People want to celebrate as early as possible. That’s why it’s called the Christmas ‘season’ rather than just a holiday. Especially in the dark season of winter, a lot of people are sad and depressed, and Christmas makes them happy. With shopping, decorating, eating, and the magic that comes with Santa, people just want to be happy as long as possible. 

A lot of people’s favorite part of the holidays is Christmas music too. So, when Mariah Carey pops out on November 1st, it isn’t a surprise. Even though “All I Want for Christmas Is You” gets annoying by January, it’s worth it for most people. 

In my opinion, if it’s after Halloween, Christmas can’t be celebrated too early. I love Christmas- it’s my favorite holiday- and I’m always so eager all year for it. The only thing we wait for is to decorate and put up the tree the day after Thanksgiving, but we are always Christmas shopping and blasting that Christmas music.  

The spirit in general with the holidays always brings so much happiness. I love to go ice skating with my family and sipping hot chocolate and sitting by the fire. The best feeling is when you wake up with snow all over the town. Also, the town being decorated with lights all over to drive by brings so much happiness. So, are the holidays celebrated too early? I don’t think so. Celebrate when and however you want; whatever makes you hap