Homecoming brings another win

Junior cornerback Reese Parker tackles an opposing Fort Walton player.

Spirits were high and festivities were in full swing leading into last Friday’s annual homecoming game. The Dolphins showed endurance and perseverance against a tough Fort Walton Beach High School that kept everyone on the edge of their seats to the last play.
The first quarter started things off with even play from both teams on offense and defense. Defenses looked particularly good as the first several drives produced no points for either team. However, the Dolphins’ offense poked through eventually and Tyler Dittmer struck first with a normally impressive 50-yard touchdown run to start off another great night for the junior.
It wouldn’t be long until the Vikings struck back with a touchdown of their own to make the score 7-7 at the end of the quarter.
Things heated up considerably in the second quarter with dramatic plays that lived up to all the hype expected in a homecoming game. The Dolphins were in the middle of a drive when their momentum was halted by a Vikings interception on a pass thrown by junior quarterback Dylon Kelley. It seemed the Vikings would take the lead after claiming possession until Walter Yates III made an interception of his own to stop them in their tracks.
With 33 seconds left until halftime, Spencer Segal caught a 12-yard touchdown pass to claim the lead once again at 14-7. Miraculously, the Dolphins would regain possession of the ball and begin another drive.
Head coach Bobby Clayton would call a timeout with just seconds left, leaving the Dolphins one more chance the extend their lead before the clock hit zero. Dylan Kelley connected with Spencer Segal once again on an astounding Hail-Mary that would put the score at 21-7 in the Dolphins favor with no time left.
During halftime, the Homecoming Court was announced and were escorted down the field. Olivia Hepworth, a Gulf Breeze native, was crowned the 2017 Homecoming Queen.
Coming back with refreshed energy after the special homecoming halftime show, the Vikings received possession of the ball to begin the second half. They quickly scored a touchdown to shorten their distance behind the Dolphins and make it 21-14.
Once again taking the game into his own hands, Spencer Segal ran another reception 60 yards to score another touchdown, putting the score at 28-14. It would be a season and career-high with three total touchdowns for the junior on the night. Fort Walton would again connect with a receiver and run the ball 80 yards on the following possession, but a chase-down tackle would force a fumble on the one-yard line, allowing the Dolphins to recover the ball in the end-zone.
Junior kicker Spencer Wirth nailed a 25-yard field goal, giving the Dolphins an even more comfortable lead at 31-14 at the end of the quarter.
The Vikings mounted a comeback attempt in the final quarter that was ultimately unsuccessful, but succeeded in bringing excitement to the Gulf Breeze crowd. They started out with a touchdown catch that would put six points on the scoreboard, but failed to convert the extra point.
The Dolphins were met by the Vikings defense on the next drive, and a fumble would allow them to regain possession with one minute left in the game. From here, the Vikings would need to score a touchdown and convert for two extra points to tie the game up.
They were driving towards the end-zone efficiently until junior Carl Taylor intercepted a pass, winning the game for the Dolphins. The crowd breathed a sigh of relief as the Dolphins secured their homecoming game.
The Dolphins improve to 5-1 after their victory over Fort Walton Beach.

Head coach Bobby Clayton huddles with his team after a successful homecoming game.

Share This Post

Post Comment