Tennis Aims for the Winning Shot

submitted by Whitney Sumrall

The JV tennis team celebrates a win at Milton last Wednesday. Both the boys and girls’ teams won.

Emma Hartman Sumrall, Sports Editor

The Gulf Breeze High School tennis team has had an amazing season so far. The varsity girls have gone undefeated and the varsity boys have won most of their matches so far. The top girl, Sarah McElridge, is completely undefeated this season, as is the top boy, William Meyering.

The JV teams have also competed this year.

They have played two tournaments, one of which was The Battle of the Breeze, hosted by Gulf Breeze at Shoreline tennis courts. The JV girls placed first and the JV boys placed second. This was one of the first matches of the season, so the win worked to solidify the team. There have been several fun moments this season, including bus rides and team bonding.

Senior Captain Cate Ducote said that “Overall I think the team will do really well this year and there is a lot of talent that will help shape the team!”

The team has a lot of new players this year, mostly freshman, so the team bonding really helps.

“I think my favorite part is just sitting on the sidelines with my friends while we cheer our teammates on,” said junior Corbett Davis. “Of course, I really love getting to play this year, too.”

“My favorite part was winning districts my junior year,” said Ducote.

The team is looking for a repeat of last year, where they swiped the board at districts. they have a fun season ahead of them, and a lot of hard work, too.

The dolphin tennis team plans to dominate this season and go as far as they can on the road to state.

The boys sub-varsity team poses after winning second at their Battle of the Breeze tournament, hosted at Gulf Breeze. (submitted by Whitney Sumrall)
The GBHS tennis team listens to the Pledge of Allegiance during the opener of their match. (submitted by Whitney Sumrall)