Teacher of the Year: Mr. McAuley

Lilly Ewens

Jude Niles signs to Saint Leo University for lacrosse.

Hayden Brown, Sports Editor

Earle McAuley was named Teacher of the Year, Thursday, October 21. Flanked by administrators,  Principal Brothers made his way to the portables to present “Big E” as he is known, with a basket full of goodies.  

McAuley says, “I knew as early as my junior year in high school that I wanted to teach and coach. I had a coach/English teacher and a Latin teacher who both pushed me very hard and impacted my life. Both of these guys had a lot of fun doing what they did. I wanted the same thing and to ‘pass it on’” 

McAuley majored in English Literature and has  BS in English Literature from East Carolina University. He played lacrosse there as well. His teaching and coaching journey began in Winston-Salem, North Carolina in 1992 at West Forsyth High School. He  taught  ninth grade English and was the JV football and basketball coach His girlfriend was the JV Cheerleading Coach. Thirty years later, that  girlfriend is his  wife, and they have four children.  

Mc Auley remarks, “Being recognized as TOY is excellent, but for me the bigger honor is to represent this incredibly talented faculty (and school in general) for this school year. Gulf Breeze High School is among the best schools I have ever seen– I have taught in four different states and six different high schools along the way. Some may have to leave and get perspective to realize it, but this place has a vibe, and it is a very good one.” 

Even with lacrosse coaching on his hands, he still managed to remain vigilant in teaching English. Stephanie Duffy, Teacher of the Year from previous years feels, “His goal is to make each student stronger academically, mentally and physically, so they are able to succeed in the real world beyond this high school.” 

Before each class, Coach McAuley always greets his students at the door with a smile. He maintains the same happy attitude both in class and on the field. Even with his joyful demeanor, he still pushes his students and players to do their absolute best by any means possible. Dean Sarah Smith, who was also a student of McAuley’s in 2003, says, “He is dedicated, compassionate, and demands the best from his students and players.” 

McAuley is an overachiever and wants nothing but the best for everyone. McAuley believes,  “School should be challenging. Very challenging. There must be iron to sharpen iron.” McAuley follows Whitney Houston’s line , “The children are our future/Teach them well and let them lead the way…”  

McAuley also mentions the importance of “grit”; students who have been in his class or played on his team know that challenges will arrive at their doorstep, and it certainly takes grit to overcome these challenges. He holds his students to a very high standard because he believes each one can handle the hardships that come their way. 

Principal Brothers says, “I have worked with Mr.McAuley for many years. He is one of the best teachers I have ever been around. Any student that has his class… is lucky. He will push, pull, and do anything to make you the best student you can be.” With a teacher like Coach McAuley, students can be prepared for anything that school, college, or life  throws at them.