Will Florida survive Gaetz?

Stephanie Eagar, Features Editor

While the midterms are ending, we, as high school students, are limited to our communities’ future. The congressional election has been seen as a more local event, with representatives like Matt Gaetz and Rebekah Jones campaigning through our streets. In the case of representing Florida’s 1st Congressional District, Jones would have been a better choice. 

Gaetz, District 1’s reelected house representative, has promoted controversial issues in the past some insinuating non-white populations are inferior, or calling pro-choice individuals fat and ugly because they didn’t agree with his takes. On Sep.25, 2021, Gaetz tweeted in support of fellow republican and Fox News commentator, Tucker Carlson, validating his idea of the “great replacement theory” an unmistakable theory to strike fear into non-white populations and characterize them as “inferior” being to the white majority. He followed up this tweet with a statement against the ADL (Anti-Defamation League) claiming it to be a racist organization. 

As a representative of Florida’s District 1, Matt Gaetz continues to surprise the people of his region with statements such as, “Why is it that the women with the least likelihood of getting pregnant are the ones most worried about having abortions?” he continues, “Nobody wants to impregnate you if you look like a thumb.” 

On Mar. 30, 2021, a report from the New York Times surfaced of the U.S Justice Department opening an investigation on whether Gaetz violated sex trafficking laws. Gaetz denies these claims by stating, “[I]t is verifiably false that I have traveled with a 17-year-old woman.” Gaetz also voted against certifying Arizona, Pennsylvania’s electoral votes during the 2020 presidential election. 

On the contrary, Jones was a former data analyst for the Florida Department of Health. She was recognized publicly after exposing Gov. Ron DeSantis’ administration’s manipulated covid-19 data. This act resulted in Jones being fired from her job in May 2020 and a trial scheduled for later. 

Her accusation of illegally accessing a computer system was followed by a message from an international Department of Health multi-user account. The announcement stated, “It’s time to speak up before another 17,000 people are dead. You know this is wrong. You do not have to be part of this. Be a hero. Speak out before it is too late”. 

In her present-day campaign, she plans to promote science and fact-based policies, a healthier and more sustainable world and serve the people of Florida. She intends to sway federal institutions to do more in our education system to ensure every child has access to quality education from pre-k to graduation. She encourages individuals to register to vote to give our nation a voice and hold the Media services accountable for publicly publishing defamatory, libelous, slanderous and grossly negligent articles to the public without backlash. 

While Gaetz continues to represent District 1 and its people just remember what Gaetz has used his power to vote against during his time in the House. Issues such as the For the People Act of 2021, the American Dream and Promise Act of 2021, the Equality Act, the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act, Impeachment of Donald John Trump for high crimes and misdemeanors and many other pressing issues. He even voted “No” to addressing the US infant formula shortage.