The student news site of Gulf Breeze High School

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Horror Through the Eyes of VHS

The snow. The snow is falling around you. Clinging to the fluff of your warm leather jacket, one of the few garments keeping your skin from freezing into the snow as if melting in deep lava. An equally deep numbness hummed in your fingers as you flicked the lighter you held, taking a few tries of the metal before it set ablaze, near burning your thumb. However, the numbness of the cold kept your fingers from even understanding the concept of burns and fire wounds. Eye lids squinted at the distance, the white of the snow was blinding, oddly bright and harsh on the eyes like when you open your phone at a late hour. But through all the falling snow in the roaring blizzard, there was a figure, and a voice… An echo of something ancient, a voice from long before this storm. 

That was no man. 

Ahem, welcome to Analog horror! For this horror season there are many different homemade horrors shows for your viewing pleasure. And if my little opener intrigued you, you may enjoy the story of “Winter of 83,” a well-done horror story in a small town by Linkara-AtopTheFourthWall on YouTube. Much akin to this horror story, there are many more, and in this article, VHS horrors will crawl up your spine like spiders and roaches of all kinds. 

Now where not the best place to start but the grandfather of analog horror? Welcome to Local 58, shown on the YouTube channel, LOCAL58TV. A world displayed in late night television broadcasts; crises displayed for those of the morbidly curious types who stay up too late in the night… This is one of those series that are a great short watch for a kick of fear in the night, all their videos binged being just above 24 or so minutes. 

Yet another classic in the online horror scene is Monument Mythos, a story about the end of the world, all in a neat package of US History and other worldly horrors held in the monuments of today, mere cages for creatures beyond any human understanding. If you are looking for a long, lore driven series that focuses on hidden history, a dual universe, and lands beyond the dead. All episodes of season 1 can be found on the Mister Manticore YouTube channel! 

I know I know, it is the most known analog horror series to date, but it must be brought up in this spooky season! The Mandela Catalogue by Alex Kister is a masterpiece of work, perfect to binge and filled with story and lore that describes a world where creatures from beyond our understanding have come to terrorize the Mandela County. If you wish for freight and intrigue, interlaced like a beautifully made bow, this will be right up your alley. 

Now if you really want something to sink your teeth into, the Walten Files would be perfect for you. It really does lean into the horror part of “Analog Horror,” with disturbing ideas and scary imagery. Many may say it is a Five Nights at Freddy’s clone, but they would be very mistaken. This series is so unique, filled with amazingly terrifying ideas that are so incredibly interesting to think about in the context of killer robots. Anyways, plot, we learn through employee tapes for Bunny Smiles incorporated about the many disappearances in the Bon’s Burgers establishment, each tape bringing new mystery and further leads on what may be happening in the business of Bunny Smiles. 

There are many, many analog series on YouTube for your viewing pleasure, all done with love from their creators and their own charm for each. There is a never-ending supply of series to watch this spooky season, new short analog horror series being made every single day. The worlds these stories show through VHS of old give horror like never before, shining through the grainy old resolution to give you amazing stories that wrap up your Halloween night quite swimmingly. Anyways, I hope you have an amazingly spooky month and a lovely evening filled with candy and frights this Halloween night!