The student news site of Gulf Breeze High School

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Red Fro and Good Flow

Yet another prominent artist emerges from the Bronx making waves all throughout the nation one hit at a time. Isis Naija Gaston, known by most as “Ice Spice,” has made a name for herself releasing a substantial amount of hits, such as, “Gangsta boo,” “Princess Diana,” and “Bikini bottom”, just to name a few. Her notable appearance and musical style have garnered a large following of fans across multiple platforms. Her iconic red afro and heavily New York inspired fashion, coupled with her thick Bronx accent have made her stand out in the industry.  

Born January 1st, 2000, Ice Spice grew up the eldest of six siblings and attended school in New York City. She was inspired by notable New York rappers such as Lil Kim and Nicki Mianj. Her father was in the New York underground rap scene even though he no longer performs. Ice Spice still attributes her exposer and love for the genre to her father. She studied biology at State University of New York Purchase and played on the volleyball team. She decided college was not for her dropping out her sophomore year, she released her first song “Bully Freestyle” after meeting a producer in 2021.  

Ice Spice is a huge advocate of the LGBTQ+ community, in a Teen vouge interview Ice Spice sates “I would not say girls, specifically, because gays love me, and I love the gays. She is also a member of the LGBTQ+ community being openly Bisexual. Her love for the LGBTQ+ community has not gone unnoticed, another famous gay rap artist Lil Nas X posted a photo on Twitter on Halloween of him wearing the same iconic green top and red afro that Ice Spice wore in her “Munch” music video. Ice Spice has also collaborated with many notable forces in the music industry such as Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj.  

Ice Spice has been climbing the rungs of the music industry’s social ladder. She has attended the Grammys and won the MTV Video Music Award for Best New Artist. She also was a guest at the Met Gala, an exclusive event that hosts only the top celebrities in the world. Her rapid rise to fame is impressive, and her success is astonishing, keeping in mind the brief time she has been releasing music. One question remains, will Ice Spice be able to stay hot and keep the a-list status or will she melt and fade into obscurity?