The student news site of Gulf Breeze High School

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Big Team, Short Times

The Cross-Country team’s size is massive with the newly arrived freshman and new runners from other classes. Everyone seems excited for the arrival of the “super runner” Andrew Beroset who already placed first place overall in the first Varsity Meet Viking Classic, with a time of 17:02.60.  

Heath Maguire, also a freshman, got a time of 17:52.70 which was .6 seconds from getting 5th. Heath placed second on the team and 6th overall.  

The boys’ team placed 3rd out of 10 schools, behind Fort Walton and Niceville with an average of 18 minutes and 17 seconds.  

The first girl runner was sophomore Matilda Sullivan, who placed 24th overall, with a time of 23:04.90. She was followed immediately after by freshman Zoe Liguori-Bills, who placed 25th overall, with a time of 23:06.00.  

The girls’ team placed 5th out of 11 schools, with an average of 23 minutes and 54 seconds.  

The JV team’s first meet was the Dolphin Mini Meet at home. It had a 3k and a 5k. Only 3 boys raced in the 3k compared to the 18 girls who raced the 3k. Andrew Nettles was the only boy Breezer in the boys 3k and placed 1st with a time of 16:25.30. The boys’ 5k David Grosso placed 3rd with a time of 20:43.9. Maddox Prindle placed 9th with a time of 21:37.1.  

The boys’ team placed 2nd. In the girls’ 3k Zoey Talbott placed 1st with a time of 16:59.9. In the girls 5k Emma Fulford placed 1st with a time of 24:15.1 followed by Ava Elam who placed 6th with a time of 27:46.2. 

The Pace Invitational was the first meet involving Varsity and JV and was almost cancelled due to heavy rain. At the Pace Invitational for Varsity, Andrew Beroset once again placed 1st overall, bringing home a medal and setting a new school record. He had a time of 16:27.  

Heath Maguire placed 8th overall and 2nd on the team with a time of 17:31. The Varsity boys’ team placed 2nd.  

The girls bus broke down on the drive to the meet forcing the Varsity girls to run in the JV meet. Varsity runner, Matilda Sullivan placed 1st overall in the JV race with a time of 22:32. Followed by Jaida Gelsinon with a time of 22:39 who placed 2nd overall in the JV race and 1st among the JV runners. 

The girls’ team placed 1st and the Varsity girls’ team did not place. Among the JV boys, Logan Earnhardt placed 38th with a time of 23:05. Daniel Taylor placed 39th with a time of 23:05. The JV boys’ team placed 3rd.