The student news site of Gulf Breeze High School

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

New Bob Marley movie premiers

On Feb. 14 of this year, it’s Bob Marley on the “big screen.” Bob Marley’s son, Ziggy Marley
gives an inside view of Marley’s life by showing the ambient parts and the serious hardships he had to push through. Along with, the “Don’t worry about a thing… every little thing is gonna be alright” mindset that has taken the world by storm.

It’s 1976, and Bob will play at the Peace Concert in Kingston. His goal: to heal the violent
factionalism of Jamaican Politics with Reggae. At this point, Jamaica is in the midst of war and rivalry. Political parties and gangs are fighting over turf. Not even Marley himself could keep from getting involved, no matter how hard he tried. The film skims over the buildup to fame and focuses mainly on the life he lived after and during his rise to the top. Showing what fame brought for him and his family. Good and bad.

After about a year of globe-wide searching for the perfect match, they landed on Kingsley Ben- Adir. Kingsley Ben-Adir studied hours upon hours of videotapes about Bob. Capturing the exact essence of Marley is a hard task to uphold but Kingsley without a doubt put in the work. Kingsley not only provides us with the Bob Marley style, voice, and dialogue but also
demonstrates his enjoyment in things that Marley loved and displays them well.
Kingsley, who is a British actor, and Marley’s family, through trial and error, attempted to “find a bit of Bob’s spirit as a human being…That was my instruction from the family and the intention of the movie that’s produced by them.” He said this in an interview with NBC News.

In Bob’s 36 years, he spent them trying to spread peace for everyone as he tried to find peace for himself in a not-so-peaceful world. In celebration, one week after what would be his 79th birthday, the movie is released.

In talk of the movie itself, filming began Dec. 2022 in London and Jamaica. It was finished in April of 2023, as well as Ziggy Marley, the producer of the movie, singer/songwriter, and Bob’s son, announcing the title “One Love” at CinemaCon. The World Premiere was held in Kingston Jamaica on Jan. 23, 2024. Kingston being Marley’s hometown it made sense to take it back to his roots. The title “One Love” of course comes from Bob Marley and The Wailers, his original group’s, hit song “One Love” which was released in 1965 in their debut album.

The song sends the message that Marley dedicated his life to and what the movie was meant to portray. Through it all (the assassination attempts, the warring, the fights, and more) Bob Marley is a positive light through music and rhythm. He continues to be this in spirit and to his family and fans.