Teacher of the Issue: Mrs. Day

Keilani Flores, Staff Writer

Every month, the Blue and Gold Newspaper will choose one teacher from the school to be featured for “The Teacher of the Issue.” The teachers are chosen and voted on by the newspaper staff every month. For the month of April, there was no doubt about which teacher would be chosen to be featured for the “Blue and Gold.” 

Jennifer Day has been an art teacher since 2007 and is currently going on her 17th year of teaching. Day spent her first year of teaching at Holley-Navarre Middle, then spent fourteen years at Gulf Breeze Elementary. This is her third year here at GBHS. She states that GBHS is “hands-down my favorite.” Day explains how she enjoyed teaching elementary art and that it is a treat to see former students who went to GBE come through her classroom.  

Day teaches six different art classes. She teaches Art 1, 2D Art 2, 2D Art 3, 2D Portfolio Design, 2D Drawing Portfolio, and AP 2D Art and Design. Day states, “I love the advanced level of art for the challenge and complexity of projects we can tackle.” Day explains how she has always been an artist, which allows her to connect and relate well to the creativity and thought processes her students hold.  

Day attended the University of South Alabama where she received her Bachelor of Science degree in Education. Day was also involved in an internship with Disney University, the Art Institute of Atlanta doing portfolio in graphic design, and the University of West Florida where she was in the Alternative Certification Program. 

Day worked as a graphic designer at an international ad agency in Veno Beach, Florida for several years after she graduated. She then became a stay-at-home mom for a few years until her daughter reached school age. She volunteered at her daughter’s school every day and became a substitute teacher for three years. While subbing, she “borrowed” some ideas from other teachers while she dreamed of running her own classroom one day. Then, suddenly her dream turned into a reality when she got an opportunity to teach at Holley-Navarre as an intern art/world history teacher, and she has never looked back. Day states, “I think this is what I was designed to do.”  

While being an amazing teacher, Day is also part of NAHS and subs in for other clubs when needed. In her spare time, Day loves to ride motorcycles, read books and make art.  

Day explains how she loves working at GBHS. She loves “the students, my teacher friends and the administration.” Day is proud to be teaching at one of the top schools in the state of Florida.