GBHS Drama Department Announces A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time as Winter Play; Mamma Mia! as Spring Musical

Kate Turk, Opinion Editor

The Gulf Breeze High School Drama department has revealed which productions they are putting on during the 2022-2023 school year. A dramatic play entitled The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time will be performed January 13-15. The musical comedy Mamma Mia! is set to be performed April 28-30. Both productions will be staged at Pensacola State College. Further information regarding ticket sales and prices will be released closer to the events.  

Every year, GBHS drama puts on two major productions: one in the winter and one in the spring. Traditionally, the winter performance features a lesser-known work, while the spring production is usually a hit Broadway musical. Drama director Amy Sellers says: “I am extremely excited about the shows we’re doing this year. They’re both feel-good plays, but in two entirely different ways.” 

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is a British drama adapted from the popular novel by Mark Hammond. The play centers on an autistic 15-year-old boy named Christopher, who, after discovering his neighbor’s dog murdered, is determined to figure out who is behind the crime. In his search, he uncovers some unpleasant truths about his own family. This story is anything but predictable, and its complex characterization of the entire cast will be on your mind long after the curtain falls.  

For those interested in a more light-hearted evening, the drama department’s second performance is just the ticket. Mamma Mia! is a romantic comedy centered around a young bride on the search for a father she’s never met to walk her down the aisle. While her mother prepares for the quickly approaching wedding, she secretly invites three likely candidates from her mother’s past. This story is full of romance and laughs, and it features a large cast of fun and loveable characters. Mamma Mia! is unique among Broadway shows because it is a jukebox musical, meaning the music came before the show. The plot of Mamma Mia! was written around hit songs from the iconic ‘70s band, ABBA. You will be singing them for weeks! 

Sellers says that the production she is most looking forward to for the year is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time because of the “powerful message and the challenge of telling the story visually.” She says the play is going to be “like a song and dance with no music.” But with the drama department’s strong record, a talented director, and tried-and-true scripts, both of these performances are sure to impress! Be on the lookout for tickets; you won’t want to miss these shows!