The student news site of Gulf Breeze High School

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Republican Control of Office: The U.S. could see a fully “red” government ruling Washington

I don’t know too many people who are confidently happy with U.S. politics. While it may be more eventful and crazier than commonly watched reality tv, an influential 2024 election is on the calendar and time is ticking fast. I can confidently say that I believe that the months before the election will be critical in our lives as America attempts to heal from constant wounds from the Trump Administration & indictments, political turmoil and a democracy that shakes from its foundations daily.  

The Biden Administration has done a questionable job at running the country. CNN reports a 57% disapproval rating for the Biden presidency so far, with ratings on a steady decrease in the last few months. The biggest topic used against Biden is his “Biden-omics” plan, which has proven unreliable so far as inflation is increasing alongside the cost of basic needs like groceries, rent, & gas skyrocket. As a teenager and citizen, I can boldly say that I disapprove of the price that I pay at the pump and checking out at stores. Months away from the election, issues such as abortion, LGBT rights, education, Ukraine and more are causing a firestorm of criticism towards the current administration. As Joe Biden tries to handle his downhill ratings, Republicans race to the debate stage during the current presidential underperformance.  

I am looking forward to new leadership in the White House. Joe Biden and Donald Trump are both nearing the age of 80 and I am tired of the nonsense legal battles and game of tug-of-war that they’ve both played since 2020. Although Donald Trump is the front-runner for the Republican candidacy, reported by PBS polls, more favorable alternatives come into the ring. Nikki Haley is my first choice in 2024’s President-Elect. As a conservative, I agree with Haley the most. The economy is hurting, our resources should be made American, aid to Ukraine should be shifted back to the US issues, defense should be prioritized again to face Chinese threats, and abortion should be less attacked, given to women to decide its fate while also limiting it towards the end of pregnancies. These are commonly shared viewpoints of Nikki Haley and slightly align to my second choice, Ron DeSantis. Although I think a Republican president is needed over Biden and Trump, I am not confident they will follow through fully to defending the other values that I take into serious consideration, such as LGBT rights, education, immigration, a bipartisan Supreme Court, etc.  

On Capitol Hill, bipartisanship is needed more than ever. Currently, no one can confirm a possibility with merit of what Congress will look like yet, but I have my opinions. Currently, with information supplied by Bloomberg, the Senate is Democratically held while Republicans control the house with weak majorities. I believe that history will repeat, and it will be like the result of the 2016 elections following Obama’s administration with a Republican Congress, held by a slim majority.  

With a full-Republican Government in power, I think the country will take a sharp right-turn, reversing Biden-era policies and instating conservative laws such as little to no aid to Ukraine, a nationalization of recourses, defense focuses and emergency economic incentives. While I believe this will help our nation’s economy, I do fear the result of a Democratic failure as my viewpoints are in the middle of the political scale. I believe in a Republican economy while believing in a Democratic social system where equality is not pastime and bipartisanship is a common theme, but as we’ve seen, this is unlikely. Until then, not much can be confirmed but debated, and the only thing you can do is stay informed and register to vote as months are in the way where Biden may gain strong approval ratings or Republican leads may grow further.