Spider-Man: No Way Home Thwips Back into Theaters 

Jon Rose, Creative Editor

This article contains spoilers for “Spider-Man: No Way Home – The More Fun Stuff Version.” 

Marvel’s “Spider-Man: No Way Home” returned to movie theaters on Friday, Sept. 2. The new, extended cut featured never-before-seen clips from the movie’s first run. 

“Spider-Man: No Way Home” was initially released on Friday, Dec. 17, 2021. The film followed Tom Holland’s Spider-Man as he fights villains from previous Spider-Man movies, including Tobey Maguire’s “Spider-Man” trilogy and Andrew Garfield’s “The Amazing Spider-Man” and its sequel. While doing so, he teams up with both Garfield and Maguire’s respective Peter Parker’s. 

The new cut, subtitled “The More Fun Stuff Version,” included an extra eleven minutes of screen time. The film also gave Charlie Cox’s character, Daredevil, a bigger spotlight. 

In one of the new scenes, Peter Parker, who is portrayed by Tom Holland in Jon Watts’ “Homecoming” series, can be seen using his Spider-Man powers during gym class after being egged-on by his classmates. 

The extended version also fills in some mysterious gaps that viewers previously questioned, as well as did what it said it would do, add more fun stuff.  

There is a new scene where Spider-Man webs up a criminal who is played by Tom Holland’s brother, but this scene also involves Spider-Man receiving hate from on-lookers due to his identity now being out. This reiterates how the world reacted to the knowledge of Peter Parker being Spider-Man.  

There are also some other purely fun scenes, one features an interview of Peter Parker and other characters at his high school after Peters’ identity was revealed. Another scene was in Dr. Strange’s Sanctum, where Peter, Ned, and MJ find a miniature Dr. Strange. The rerelease also extended an already funny scene and added more jokes to the part of the movie where the 3 Peter Parkers are talking before the big, climatic battle. 

The rerelease of “No Way Home” ended with two new post credit scenes, a special touch Marvel is known for. One of the scenes featured Betty Brant doing a school news broadcast recapping the events of the last four years of Marvel action (excluding Peter Parker’s name or face, yet “Spider-Man” still exists), from the perspective of senior students at Peter’s high school. The other post credit scene features more of Dr. Strange’s spell and goes more into detail about the effects of the spell.  

For example, in photos from Midtown Technical High School’s trips to Europe and Washington, D.C., Parker is not seen at all. 

In its opening weekend, “The More Fun Stuff Version” brought in $6 million at the box office, with $1.75 million being from opening night. This amount added to almost $2 billion made during the film’s initial run. The film ranked at the top of the box office, followed closely behind “Top Gun: Maverick” at $5.5 million and “D.C. League of Super Pets” at $5.45 million.