The student news site of Gulf Breeze High School

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Perusing on Palafox

Every Saturday from 9am-2pm is Palafox Street’s time to shine. The Palafox Market is the place for small business owners to show Pensacola what they’ve got. Rain or shine, the Palafox Market has been a regular, every Saturday in Pensacola since 2007.  

Decorated with small businesses lining a pathway for onlookers. As you walk down the sidewalk you can pick up an iced coffee and browse as if you are window shopping. It provides a very enjoyable and relaxing Saturday morning or afternoon. 

Vendors of the Palafox Market arrive intending to sell their unique art, baked goods, spices, homemade soaps, and far more. The market is an outlet for people to share and express their culture, occupation, interests, and hobbies for others to learn and appreciate. The market is also a way for some to make a living by selling their trade or hobbies for profit. You could eat an entire meal just sampling foods from different stands. Along with the food there is always a live band performing for entertainment such as an acoustic bluegrass quartet. Additionally, there is gluten free, keto, vegan, and many other unique food options to choose from. For those with a sweet tooth, you can try freeze dried candy options for a unique experience.  

One of the local businesses, KaraLily Candle Co. sells high quality and non-toxic candles. Lacy McLaughlin and her business partner say that their company shares their products to help introduce clean and safe scents. McLaughlin’s business partner is also a former GBHS alumni! She says her favorite part of the market is meeting new people.  

Another local vendor, Chef Jerry of Emerald Coast Bread Co. sells a variety of breads including baguettes, bagels, sourdough, and rustic loaves in a variety of flavors including olive, jalapeno, cheddar, and cinnamon. They provide bread to restaurants such as Jackson’s, Iron, Global Grill, and Joe Patti’s. In addition to bread, they also sell cheesecakes.  

For those visiting Pensacola, whether at the beach or downtown, the market offers a variety of options to please all ages and serves over 8,000 visitors per event. With pets and kids welcome, there is face-painting for children and vendors who create items specifically for pets. KaraLily Candle Co and Emerald Coast Bread Co are only two of the many interesting and quality vendors at the market, though by 2022, Palafox Market supported over 200 small businesses. To support your local community and enjoy a stroll Downtown visit Palafox Market.