The student news site of Gulf Breeze High School

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Slippery Mermaid-Freshest Sushi on the Coast!

A local gem, the Slippery Mermaid is a restaurant best known for its quality sushi and lively atmosphere. Located at 8779 Navarre Parkway, it is a popular spot for both tourists and locals alike, often seen with a small crowd of people waiting on the porch for a taste of the delicious sushi that waits within.  

To avoid the crowd, it would be best to visit on a weekday or in the early afternoon hours, when there is typically a shorter wait. 

The Slippery Mermaid offers a variety of savory, spicy, and soothing foods. With a menu that boasts a variety of dishes, including gluten-free and cooked options, there are many choices available to satiate even the pickiest of palettes.  

Some of their most popular sushi rolls are the Shrimp Tempura roll, the Spicy Octopus, and the Japanese Bagel. The Slippery Mermaid also has a wide variety of creative and exciting choices to pick from of their Signature Rolls, many of which have names based on oceanic mythology, like the Poseidon, Triton’s Tuna, and the Dragon roll. 

For those with smaller appetites, looking at the Nibbles portion of the menu might be best. The Nibbles menu offers cheaper side dishes and salads, with options of salty or spicy edamame, miso soup, and the seaweed, garden, cucumber, and tuna reef salads. Though all of these options are delicious, my personal favorite Nibble is the rice bowl, which is refreshing and filling without leaving a feeling of heaviness and being bloated.  

If you aren’t sure what to get from the myriad of choices offered, some classic and tasty rolls offered are the ever-popular California roll, the Peck-n-Roll, or the Cucumber roll. These rolls are simple, without complex ingredients or spicy sauces that might overwhelm your taste buds if you are new to sushi. Those three rolls are relatively common and easy, but still delicious, with a clean flavor, freshly prepared in house. 

However, if you are someone who enjoys the spice of life, some hot choices for you would be the Flaming Mermaid, the Fiesta Mermaid, the Tiger Roll, or the Dragon. Each of these rolls should have enough spice to set your taste buds alight with excitement. 

Though the variety of options the Slippery Mermaid offers all have their own charms, my personal favorite to order is the Rainbow Mermaid. Simple but classy, this item comes with 2 rolls of cucumber, tuna, shrimp, and salmon each. A side that pairs perfectly with this is the rice bowl, a cool and easy classic to refresh the palette and leave you feeling energized and satisfied with your meal.