The student news site of Gulf Breeze High School

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Rolls Into Theatres

Directed by Jonathon Goldstien and John Daley, and released on March 31st 2023 Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves took the most popular TTRPG (tabletop role playing game) and presented it on the big screen in a way that appeals to anyone ranging from die-hard fans of the game to people who have never even heard of it. With a mix of comedy and action this movie is able to make an incredible film, filled with enjoyable content throughout the entire movie, out of what feels like an actual D&D campaign. 
Any concern that the movie would be essentially unwatchable for anyone who doesn’t know how the game works is completely overridden by how the movie is written. The way that the D&D movie deals with the complexity of D&D is by letting all the game mechanics and references to the game be non-essential to the plot of the movie. Don’t know who Mordenkainen is? What that weird looking monster is supposed to be? Not an issue, because the movie doesn’t revolve around the watcher knowing what those things are. 
Along with using this to make the movie enjoyable for non-players of the game, these references take what would otherwise be a regular adventure movie and give avid fans of the game a better experience overall, as they can watch and get excited over little details that were included. NPR (National Public Radio) puts this best when they sayIf you go into the film knowing the internecine mechanics of D&D gameplay, you will certainly recognize them playing out onscreen — but you miss nothing if you don’t. 
Even though the movie grossed roughly $208 million, it had a reported production budget of around $150 million, and with marketing costs taken into account the movie most likely fell short of being profitable.  
However, this did not stop the film from being extremely well made and worth a watch, as it obtained 91% positive critic reviews and 93% positive audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, some of the reviews reading “A nice surprise. Great story, amazing cast lead by an amazing performance by Chris Pine. Great visual effects. Overall, good movie,” and “Great film! Fabulous cast, witty throughout, and the storyline was fantastic. Highly recommend! I can’t wait to watch again! 
Although a sequel is unlikely due to the less than desirable performance at the box office, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves will stand in time as a movie that fans of the game can return to in pride, and people who have never played the game can continue to watch with enjoyment.