Halloween’s Interesting History

AP Images

Halloween has a long history of creatures but now it’s for candy and parties.

Emily Walsh, Entertainment Editor

Many people wait 365 days just for this holiday to come around. The “scary holiday,” a day to dress up, a day for haunted houses and a day to eat as much candy as one wants. Halloween! There is a lot more to Halloween than just candy and costumes; however, there is also history, stories, and more.

It all began with a festival known as the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. This was an event where people would light bonfires and dress up in an assortment of costumes to keep ghosts away. “All Saints Day” was formed sometime later and the night before that day was known as “All Hallows Eve.” This later came to be known as what we call the holiday today: Halloween.

Over a long period of time, this holiday has turned into much more than bonfires and cos-tumes. Now, we participate in activities such as trick-or-treating, carving Jack-O-Lanterns, and haunted houses. Sophomore, Jazmin Roltsch, has some very exciting plans for her Halloween this year. Roltsch stated, “I am planning on going to a party with friends. We are going as the crew of Scooby Doo.” Her favorite candy to receive on Halloween is Sour Patch Kids or Warheads. “I love sour things.” Roltsch added. One of her favorite Halloween movies to watch is “Nightmare Before Christmas.”

With COVID-19 protocols starting to decrease, hopefully there will be more events for friends and families this year. Many families may not have gone trick-or-treating or participated in many fun events last year due to the virus spreading. Slowly, all the activities that we used to love taking part in are coming back.

Have no plans for this Halloween? Want to do something fun? One of the most fun ways to spend Halloween is to have a movie night with friends. There are only three steps to follow!

Go to the store and buy your favorite Hallow-een candy. There are so many options to choose from. Make sure to pick a few various kinds of candy. The more candy, the better!

Pick a few Halloween movies. Some classic movies to choose from include Hocus Pocus, “Halloween Town” and the classic, “It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.”

The last step is to put steps one and two together! Relax on the couch, cozy up with a blanket, and enjoy a night filled with friends, food, and fun!

Halloween is such a fun holiday to celebrate. Do not forget to buy your favorite Halloween candy before it runs out. Make sure to make this Halloween the best one yet by hanging out with friends and eating lots of candy.