Drama Triumphs at District I Comp

Photo submitted by Amy Sellers

Drama students take on districts

Belle Keel, Features Editor

Amy Sellers is one of our new GBHS teachers this year. She has been working tirelessly with her students in her drama and stagecraft classes throughout the first semester and her hard work shows!

Recently, the drama students traveled to Fort Walton Beach High School on Saturday November 6th to compete in the District 1 (Escambia-Leon Counties) Individual Event Com-petition. Out of 31 Individual Events, 9 were awarded an Excellent Score, 21 were awarded a Superior Score (top honors), and 1 (Jack Anderson) was selected as the Critic’s Choice in one of the categories. Twenty-one schools from all over the state of Florida totaled 650 students who met for the competition. Needless to say, the pressure was on for our breezers.

There are several different categories and individual events included in the competition: musicals, scenes, duet musicals, duet scenes, solos, and ensemble monologues. Some of the technical categories are costume design, set design, and student directed choreography.

“This year was the first competition for many of my students due to covid last year, so I am really impressed with the talent and professionalism they all showed.” says Mrs. Sellers. Mrs. Sellers has much to be proud of with everyone who represented GBHS.

The following students did exceptionally well and brought home awards: Jack Anderson, Grace Brantley, Erin Chiasson, Gwen Couvillion, Bruno DaSilva, Taylor Dykes, Alissa Ferreira, Ashton Fielding, Robert Folle, Felix Hague, Mattie Hord, Ellie Johnson, Nicholas Johnson, Jordyn Kelly, Jorel Laranang, Chloe Magnes, Alex McCown, Kaitlin Murphy, Aurora North, Alex Paul, Jackson Paul, Rubi Regan, Robby Rushing, Lauren Saiter, Bree Salcido, Richy Scharinger, Kristen Shave, Eva-Marie Summerlin, Kate Turk, Natalie Weiss, Hailey Young, and last, but certainly not least Payton Zwierzchowski.

Mrs. Sellers played a key role in her student’s success. As the troop sponsor, she helped her students decide on what competition would suit them best, stayed long before and after school to open her classroom for rehearsals, and helped them out every step of the way.

“And now I have the horrific responsibility of selecting only 6 out of the 21 Superior events to compete in at the State Competition in Tam-pa in March!” said Mrs. Sellers. This week the five following juniors and seniors are travelling to Winter Haven to audition for numerous colleges in the Florida Theater Conference: Grace Brantley, Mattie Hord, Jordyn Kelly, Chloe Magnes, and finally, Kaitlin Murphy. Be sure to wish them luck and tell them to “break a leg!”

Drama students take on districts (Photo submitted by Amy Sellers)