Mrs. Skelton: Teacher of the Issue

submitted by Lauren Skelton

Mrs. Skelton teaches Pre-Calculus and Algebra 2 at GBHS.

Leah Feitshans, Staff Writer

Mrs. Skelton, née Spillers, a math teacher at Gulf Breeze High School, was highly recommended for this month’s teacher of the issue. Loved by many students and staff, I was more than happy to interview her. Mrs. Skelton started teaching in 2017 because she loves math and wanted to make a difference; it was her passion.

Mrs. Skelton teaches Pre-Calculus and Algebra 2, mostly to 11th graders. When asked what her favorite part of teaching was, she said, “Seeing the light bulb go off. When they say they don’t understand something and I explain it to them, and you can instantly just see it click in their mind. It’s why I love teaching.”

Before Skelton started teaching, she attended Louisiana Tech and was a teller at a bank while she was in college. She also worked in the Housing Department. When asked if she had any goals for the rest of the year, Skelton said, “It was my new year’s resolution to take attendance by the first five minutes of class. I am really bad at that and want to get better.”

After being asked what the best advice she felt she could give a student, Skelton said, “Be yourself. Get involved in clubs and sports. Do not care what people say about you, you should not care. Also, it’s okay to make C’s.” After that she added, “C’s get you degrees.”

To conclude the interview, Skelton was asked what her favorite content she has taught so far this year. Skelton replied, “the unit circle.” The unit circle is a circle that serves as an essential tool used to solve angular signs, cosine and tangents, ultimately the length of triangles. Mrs. Skelton went on to say, “it’s so fun, definitely my favorite thing.”