Makayla Guilbeau Crowned

Makayla+Guilbeau+was+recently+crowned+%E2%80%9CMiss+Gulf+Breeze+Florida%E2%80%9D+and+won+a+world+class+pageantry+scholarship.++

submitted by Makayla Guilbeau

Makayla Guilbeau was recently crowned “Miss Gulf Breeze Florida” and won a world class pageantry scholarship.

Belle Keel, Features Editor

Makayla has many interesting hobbies; she enjoys playing lacrosse as well as coaching some younger kids and doing cheerleading as well as other school activities.

More recently she has found a passion for beauty competitions and pageants. Her first competition was April 16th, 2022, and she won the title of “Miss Gulf Breeze Florida.”

Makayla says that her mother, Sara Denmon (7th and 8th grade ELA teacher at Gulf Breeze Middle School) is her biggest supporter and has been by her side through all the difficulties of learning the process of pageants.

Makayla plans to compete again in several other beauty competitions, the next one she has planned in the North Florida pageant in January 2023.

When asked what she learned from her very first competition experience she told me, “I learned a lot from this experience, and it definitely helped with my people and conversation skills.”

As this was her first ever competition, I asked if she was surprised that she won.

“Well not really to be honest, I kind of had a feeling. But next time I am definitely going to practice a lot more before I go into the actual competition.”

For later in life, Makayla wants to go into neuroscience. This summer she is going to Duke for a week long pre-college neuroscience program, and she is extremely excited. Guilbeau is an incredible academic student, and she has kept her place in the top percentile of students since elementary school.

Makayla is definitely a very impressive student, pageant competitor, and representative of GBHS.

Congratulations to Makayla and the absolute best of luck to her in all of her upcoming competitions!