The Blue and Gold’s Seniors say Goodbye!

Jon Rose

Elle Bobb, Kristen Thompson, Derek Scott, Corban Gobble, Emma Hartman Sumrall, Stewart Fulford

The Blue and Gold Staff

Elle Bobb, Editor-in-Chief, Print

My experience at Gulf Breeze High School has been multifaceted. I’ve learned that to be a successful high school student you have to dig a little deeper. It’s easy to rely on what we know – what we’re good at. Did I ever see myself being a part of the newspaper? No. Did I ever see myself as the Editor-in-Chief of print? Definitely not. Did it push me out of my comfort zone? Yes. Were there some gnarly confrontations? For sure. Did I learn lessons that I’ll take with me into college and life? Absolutely. I encourage each and every one of you – underclassmen and graduates alike – to welcome some unlikely opportunities. If you do, you may just find your best friends, new skills, and some nice memories.

Vibes,

Elle Bobb

Editor-in-Chief, Print

Kristen Thompson, Editor-in-Chief, Online

My time at Gulf Breeze High School has been one of the best of my life. My time on “The Blue and Gold” newspaper has been even better.

Thank you to every teacher, administrator and student who supported me throughout my high school experience. To every senior who is leaving with me, thank you all for the past four years, some even longer than that.

A huge thank you and appreciation to those who read “The Blue and Gold,” checked out our website and followed our Instagram, @gbhsnewspaper. You are all the reason we are still here today.

The person who I want to thank the most is Ken Killam. Killam fought hard to save our publication last year and I am so grateful that he did. I will never be able to thank him enough.

After a successful year as the Editor-in-Chief, Online and two All Florida’s from FSPA, I am excited to continue my career in journalism at the University of West Florida.

Goodbye, Gulf Breeze. Editor-in-Chief, Online OUT!

Derek Scott, News Editor

I’ve had an amazing three years on the Blue and Gold. Every year has come with a new set of staff and a new advisor. This year has been my favorite by far and it’s a shame that it felt so short. We’ve had our ups and downs but we’ve always managed to laugh at the end of the day. I wish every future and current member of the Blue and Gold good luck.

– Derek

Corban Gobble, Copy Editor

I think the most painful part about being a senior is having to let go and say goodbye.

By far my favorite people are the ones I’ve met in Journalism; mostly everybody is benevolent and cooperative. Despite some smaller struggles I feel I’ve gotten closer with the people here than anywhere else.

In full honesty, I want to leave high school – but I also don’t want to leave the people in it. I know that many of the people I make connections with will never be seen again. But when I think about it with an alternative angle, I also know that my time here was valuable and will keep not just a shelf in my memory, but a whole closet. I thank Gulf Breeze High School for giving me such fond memories that I’ll never let go of, and I thank my friends for being the best as humanly possible. For the people I’m closest to, I’ll always stay close to.

Stay swag,

Corban Gobble

Emma Hartman Sumrall, Sports Editor

I started doing the newspaper my freshman year as a staff writer, and then quit for sophomore and junior year. But I decided to rejoin for my senior year, and I’ve really enjoyed my decision. So I’ve only been on the Blue ‘N Gold editorial staff for a year, but I can thoroughly say that I’m glad to have done it. I’ve learned a lot, but the most significant part of my experience was the people. I’m grateful to have known each and every one of y’all, and even though we may have had our moments, I’m glad we are friends.

We spent the first few months as strangers, and then one field trip later we were our own little group of weirdos. Our first hangout was one of the best days I’ve ever had, and the ones that followed were some of our best moments together. I can’t wait to be the weird friends we stop by with our kids to see whenever we’re in town. See y’all at the toast for whoever gets married first!

Stewart Fulford, Business Manager

All the school did was give you 7 hours of classes to sit through and a diploma. Anything else that happened in the last 4 years was all you and it doesn’t end when high school ends. No matter what anyone tries to tell you, these last four years and the summer to come are as much your life as any other period of the limited time that you have left. It would be in your best interest to place the idea of preparation for life in the trash and understand that even as you go through your “education” this time is as much your life as any other time. Don’t wait until you have graduated or until your parents start treating you like an adult to do what you think needs to be done in the world or, at least, what you feel that you would like to do.

This is it. Nothing about you will change from walking across this stage or any of the stages to come. There is no point where you will be more comfortable and sure of yourself as you are now so don’t wait to be. If I had to give myself a piece of advice when I started 9th grade it would be to enjoy all of the experiences of high school but to remember that they are unimportant. No matter what anyone tells you, what really matters is who you are and what you do when you are not in school, not in club meetings, and not at games.

This Doesn’t Matter.