Florida Passes New Changes to School Policies

AP Images

With the new school year came several important changes to school policy regarding the Florida Standards Assessment and quarantine protocols

Elle Bobb, Assistant Editor

As the year progresses, new changes to schools’ operations have been issued from the state government. 

On September 14th, 2021, Governor Ron DeSantis announced that Florida will end the Florida Standards Assessment (FSA). 

Of the FSA testing, DeSantis said, “We have to recognize that this is the year 2021 and the FSA is, quite frankly, outdated.” 

Schools will begin use progress monitoring, which will consist of individualized assessments for each student three times a year. 

The Florida Department of Education’s timeline shows Florida will utilize the statewide progressive monitoring assessment by the 2023-2024 school year.   

The proposed new system will be called F.A.S.T: Florida’s Assessment of Student Thinking. 

Under the new progress monitoring system, educators will have access to data from the assessments easily – and can implement changes to respond to students’ needs. 

The assessment will provide information about a student’s growth: it will compare the beginning of the year results, mid-year results, and end of the year results.  

This model is growth oriented, rather than having one defining score at the end of the year. 

The Florida Department of Education’s timeline shows Florida will utilize a statewide progressive monitoring assessment by the 2023-2024 school year, with 2021 being the final year for FSA testing. 

“We need to measure results; we will continue to do it. We will continue to set high standards,” DeSantis said. 

Another change in Florida schools’ functions has come in the form of altered quarantine protocol for exposed students. 

A day after assuming the position of Surgeon General, Doctor Joseph Ladapo signed new protocols stating that parents may decide whether their children should quarantine, should they remain asymptomatic, after being exposed to a positive COVID-19 case. 

“We are going to be following a symptoms-based approach,” said Governor DeSantis 

In alignment with DeSantis, Ladapo has stated he does not believe in school closures, lockdowns or vaccination mandates. 

The announcement has created significant contention – locally and statewide. 

Andrew Spar, president of the Florida Education Association has raised concerns regarding the new protocols 

“Limiting districts options and blocking them from following CDC guidelines is not in the best interest of the health of our students, employees or families,” Spar said. 

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that people who get infected by COVID-19, and its variants, can spread the virus starting at least two days before they show any symptoms.  

Fully vaccinated students and staff are encouraged by the CDC to get tested 3–5 days after their last known exposure—even if they don’t have symptoms. 

If exposed, the CDC recommends that a student quarantine for 14 days if they are unvaccinated, with a possible shortened quarantine of seven days – provided they test negative.