Sarah Smith Awarded Teacher of the Year

Jonathan Rose

Sarah Smith is a social studies teacher here at Gulf Breeze High School and many of her peers describe her as the hardest working and most deserving teacher.

Kristen Thompson, Online Editor

Sarah Smith received the honor of being Gulf Breeze High School’s Teacher of the Year.

To kick of the 2021 homecoming pep rally on Oct. 15, principal Danny Brothers took to the floor to announce and present Smith with the honor. Smith was serenaded with flowers and surprise visits from her husband Nate and two children, Jackson and Charlie.

Smith has been working at GBHS since 2014. Currently, she teaches World History, World History Honors and is the sponsor for Student Government Association. In response to winning Teacher of the Year, Smith said she felt “honored by my peers.”

“I really love our school community. I like how everyone pulls together and plays a part,” Smith shared.

“Mrs. Smith is deserving of any accolade that comes her way,” Brothers stated. “She cares deeply about every student who’s lucky enough to have her as a teacher. She possesses all the qualities that every student could ever want in a teacher.”

Smith’s classroom neighbor, Ken Killam, gushed about the Teacher of the Year winner.

“Sarah Smith is the hardest working teacher at the school,” said Killam. “She’s an inspiration for younger teachers, many whom find it hard to balance extracurriculars, family life and school.”

Chloe Dickerson, student body president, described Smith as caring and compassionate.

“If it was not for her, I know me, along with many other students, would not be standing where we are today academically and mentally. She goes above and beyond to connect with her students and to ensure that they are welcome in her classroom.”

Dickerson continued, “The whole world needs a Mrs. Smith in their lives and I am so grateful GBHS has one.”

Senior class president Caden Emma couldn’t be happier for Smith.

“Every year, she never stops inspiring others and teaching more than just education but life lessons as well,” Emma said. “She is the best teacher I have ever had and I am so happy for her.”

Outside of school, Smith enjoys spending the quality time with her family, going to the beach, spending days on a boat, reading and watching teacher TikToks.

“My whole ‘for you page’ is just full of teachers,” Smith shared. “They’re all very funny.”

Gulf Breeze High School sends a loving and deserving congratulations to Mrs. Smith! Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication!