The Vaping Problem

Brindi Janey, Staff Writer

As far as illegal activities at school, the biggest issue is vaping. In almost every bathroom there is one student who is vaping. Aside from it being illegal, vaping can be fatal.

The nicotine in vapes is highly addictive, it can harm brain development and can contain other harmful substances that are not nicotine. Nicotine also changes the way your synapses, something built between brain cells when new skills or memories are formed, are formed.

The use of vapes may also increase the risk of future drug addictions. Even though some feel educated enough about vapes to use them, sci-entists are STILL learning about the long-term effects. Some of the ingredients in vapes can be safe to eat, but not to inhale.

Defective vape batteries have been reported to have exploded or caused fires, some of which resulted in serious injuries. People have also been poisoned by swallowing the liquid or absorbing it into their skin. Some of the things in a vape are nicotine, ultra-fine particles, diacetyl (linked to serious lung disease), volatile organic compounds, cancer causing chemicals, nickel, tin, and lead.

A goal of vape companies is to market it towards younger people. They offer flavors like fruit, candy, and mint in order to attract youth to their products. Many youths report using them because they are curious about the products. Young people who use vapes now are more likely to smoke in the future as well. Another unsafe factor of vaping is the lack of knowledge of what is in the e-cigarette.

There are fake vapes being sold as well as vapes laced with unsafe drugs, and with younger people using the products their chances of receiving a “bad” vape is increased. Vaping is more harmful than cigarettes, but all tobacco products can still kill when used long term.

There are a couple prevention campaigns focused primarily on the youth and their use of vapes. “The Real Cost” is a campaign that reaches teens inside of school. The campaign is to prevent vape usage in school and during off campus classes as well. What we do know about vapes is limited, but it’s important to do research on something that can cause so much harm to one’s body. Set a good example for yourself and others by being 100% tobacco-free.