The student news site of Gulf Breeze High School

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Passing off the Torch: NHS Class of 2024 Inducted

Created in 1921 to honor students who have excelled in leadership, academics, service, and character, the National Honor Society is doing just that, still. Over 100 years later. 86 members in the senior class of 2024 were inducted, all reaching the requirements of a 3.0+ GPA, community service, outstanding involvement in school activities, and scholarly disposition. Leading these exemplary students, are new NHS Officers. With Kiera Decesare as our president, Charlotte Jagar as vice president, Ashley Beam as treasurer, Grace Bian as secretary, Ava Hernandez as historian and Sarah McElrath as social media manager, NHS is going to make leaps and bounds this year. 

“Its going to be service based. Our leadership board has jumped into that with both feet, and they’re working exceedingly hard to make sure that there’s a bunch of opportunities for people to give the way that they want to give, not just one way.” said Mr. Earle Mcauley, a first time teacher sponsor of the club. Mr. McAuley is a “Teacher of the Year” award winner, sponsor of literature club, AP teacher, father of 4 and supporter of Gulf Breeze athletics. Co-sponsoring the NHS alongside McAuley, is Mrs. Skelton. Skelton is an AP teacher, sponsor of multiple influential school sponsored groups and a well loved staff member here Gulf Breeze High school.  

Not only does National honor society gain acknowledgment school and community wide, but is an impressive addition to a resume. With Common App and college application season going on, this added boost will surely be beneficial to the college bound class of 2024. For students who are younger, and wish to be a part of NHS in the future, Mcauley had this advice to give. “It starts in the 9th grade, and you have to have an attitude of not just academics, but service, as well as scholarship and giving…its got to be someone who listens and gives, it cant just be someone who takes.” 

With new leadership, comes new goals. When asked about the goals and focuses of NHS this year, Mcauley had this to say: “I think finding a way to give is very important, and we’re trying very hard to provide ways to do that.” Things like beach cleanups, reading to elementary school children and singing to retirement homes are all in the works for community service this year.  

For our selfless, generous, studious, and hardworking members, there’s just so much to be proud of.  “NHS is basically the culmination of well done for your high school career. So it’s the best of the best in the high school, and the ceremony to bring them in I think is just that. It’s a ceremony celebrating all the work that’s been done in the last 3 years.” Explained Mcauley. The ceremony, held on September 19th at St. Ann’s, was filled with parents, teachers, friends and family, all commending our seniors. With an assuring amount of support, great leadership and new perspective, the future of NHS is looking bright!