The student news site of Gulf Breeze High School

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Statewide Phone Ban is Good For Students

“You can’t help an addict by letting them keep the addictive…”

Ratified in May and put into effect on July 1st, the law prohibiting the use of cell phones during class time brought a change to school that is beneficial to the learning experience that schools seek to provide.  
Many times in class I have seen people completely checked out of class, scrolling away on some social media app because they either don’t care about the lesson being taught, or they just need to see what’s happening elsewhere. With so many students falling into the distraction of a phone, a lot of teachers became very relaxed with their phone policies, leading to many students losing valuable education to phones. 
Even though it is on the students themselves to stay attentive during class, classrooms should be a zone where students don’t have to constantly deal with the want to pick up their phone (you can’t help an addict by letting them keep the addictive). Putting a statewide law into place was a very simple solution to this problem, as removing phones from the immediate grasp of students who have trouble resisting the temptation is by far the most effective way to keep students away from their phone. 
This was a great law to be put into place because it forces students to be more attentive in class without being distracted by the eternal dopamine high that is sought with phones. As someone who the same issue that many other students do of wanting to just escape to my phone during a boring lesson, this law has already helped me to pay more attention in class, and I think it will be beneficial to a lot of other students as well. 
Along with the removal of phones from students, this law also takes some stress away from teachers, as instead of having to deal with different teachers having different phone policies and thus having students who default to another teachers policy, the law makes classrooms uniform in the sense that every class has the exact same policy, allowing teachers to focus on more important things.w 
Although the actual affects of this law won’t be clearly shown until a longer time has passed, I believe the overall student grades will (even if only slightly) rise as a direct consequence of less opportunity to get distracted by phones.