The student news site of Gulf Breeze High School

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Club Rush Rushing in Like Evening Tides!

Business was booming at the Club Rush this year, the excitement overflowing from the students wishing to find groups or clubs to join into. Many of the clubs there were but a mere fraction of the sixty-three clubs (Number sourced from Dean Spencer) students can choose from this year. 

“We had an amazing amount of students,” said Dean Spencer, the fellow who runs the clubs, about how well the club rush went. “We had almost 30 clubs. We may have to look at it being a bigger space, like the gym or gym lobby.” He added. The number of clubs will only increase as the years go by, warranting the idea to move the Club Rush to a larger room within the school than the library. 

Each club has many benefits, one of such being service hours. Joining any club is a wonderful way to get service hours for a “Bright Futures” scholarship, which requires one hundred such hours (At least as the teachers told me). 

Besides service hours, there are many clubs to help with your future growth. One such being FBLA, standing for “Future Business Leaders of America,” run by Samantha Sherman. They watch public speeches by influential people, getting life experience in business and tips on how to run such. 

It is worth noting that joining clubs are not just fun but have many academic values! “The thing that clubs provide is diversity.” Said Dean Spencer in response to the question of which clubs are well for college. “What you are looking for is leadership for your resume by becoming an officer.” 

Besides just academic value, clubs introduce a place to make friends with similar interests to you, one such club that is a perfect example of this is the “Peer Helpers” club, run by Mrs. Jessica Howie with her right-hand student, Brooke Bordelon. It is a social club where people get to know each other, making friends!  

Then there’s specific clubs for specific interests where people can gather because they like a similar topic. A fitting example is the Car Club, president being a Max Skelton, where people can gather and talk about cool cars and how they are built! 

There are also clubs for important causes. Connect 4 Cancer is a club run by Chloe McMillion that hosts fundraisers and festivals to raise money for cancer research. Another such club is Fishing and Conservation, run by Will Haft that go to schools and instruct children about the environment and preserving its beauty. Once more, there is also the One Step at a Time club, a club that cleans up beaches on Saturday mornings! There are tons and tons of great clubs to help your community and the world, all great ways to personally help your community. 

Besides just socializing, athletic clubs also give a chance to exercise in fun ways! One good example is the Pickle Ball club, run by Sir Jake Filardi, where they hold tournaments to play pickleball and play casually if that fits your style! There are many kinds of sports that clubs give as options, one of which being sailing in the Sailing club, run by Sir Connell Bartling, where they teach fellow students how to sail and go sailing! 

For those who enjoy their religion, there are also clubs for that! Specifically, there are a few Christian clubs, one of such being “Bowling and Bible Study,” Run by Will Woodward and Max Brantley, where they have a fun time bowling and “Get closer to god.” They spoke.  

There are clubs for near anything, if you have any questions about the clubs, ask Dean Spencer.