High School Students Need Sex Education

Kristen Thompson, Editor-in-Chief, Online

Kristen Thompson, Online Editor

“While not every high school student is or will be having sex, all of them should know of its potential effects and how one can avoid a situation that they do not want to be in.”

In Santa Rosa County, schools are encouraged to preach abstinence among students. Regardless of the school board’s views on the topic, it is an important issue that needs to be discussed.

With open conversations and education on sex, future generations can protect themselves from sexually transmitted diseases. This could prevent teens from an epidemic like AIDS that occurred during past generations’ high school and college years.

Sexual education in schools does not mean students would be encouraged to have sex and experiment with their sexuality by their school. It simply means they would be taught the responsibilities that come with having sex.

For a more informed and accurate education, schools should have certified nurses or doctors who are trained in the field to teach sexual education.

In sexual education, students would learn about the dangers of sexually transmitted diseases and how to keep themselves safe. They would also learn the importance of consent and how to make their partner and themselves feel comfortable during sex.

Along with this, students would learn the statistics of teenage pregnancy and how to keep themselves from being in that situation. The use of protection – whether it be birth control, condoms, or both – would be emphasized heavily.

In Florida, the teen pregnancy rate is 16.2 per 1,000 teens, according to the CDC. In fact, the top five states in America with the highest teen pregnancy rates – Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Alabama – are mostly southern states with a rate over 25 per 1,000 teens. Like Florida, schools in these states are not required to teach sexual education.

Other than teen pregnancy, sexual education also offers a space to talk openly about other topics, such as how emotions are affected by hormones, different types of relationships and the menstrual cycle. Students should have more access to information and the ability to know more about their bodies than the basics that they are taught in biology class.

Sexual education would allow students to learn more about its role in culture. Ever since artists like Madonna, Dolly Parton and Prince first established themselves and their confidence, the media portrayal of sexuality has become less taboo, but still controversial. This theme can be found in modern artists, such as Lizzo, Ariana Grande and Lil Nas X. While this behavior should not be promoted or performed by minors, it allows them to see that it will be okay for them to be expressive when they are older, if they choose to do so.

The discussion of sexual education brings back a memory of a situation that took place in a Florida high school. A few years ago, students were caught having sex in one of the school’s bathrooms. Rather than teaching students the responsibilities and consequences that potentially come with sex, the school’s solution was to lock the doors to the bathrooms for the rest of the school year. The issue was never brought up again.

There are many questions that arose from this situation. Other than the obvious “Why would anyone have sex in a school bathroom,” students began questioning why they aren’t taught about sex.

If Santa Rosa County were to implement sexual education in their high schools, there should be an option for parents to not allow their child to participate. “Florida students can be exempted from the teaching of reproductive health or disease prevention upon request from their parents,” according to Florida’s Department of Education statute 1003.42 (3).

But this would not benefit the student. While it’s understandable why someone wouldn’t feel comfortable talking about the topic, sexual education is essential to everyone and needs to be shared.

The responsibility that comes with having sex should be taught to students, regardless of whether it takes place in school or not. Parents should be discussing these things with their children instead of avoiding the topic. Teenagers are going learn about the dangers of STDs and teen pregnancy eventually, but it would be better for them to learn by talking about it than having first-hand experience.

There are better solutions for acknowledging teenage sex than ignoring it. While not every high school student is or will be having sex, all of them should know its potential effects and how they can avoid a situation that they do not want to be in.

It is time for Santa Rosa County schools to consent to sexual education.