Swim and Dive Teams Flip into Regionals

submitted by Lori Goto

To the left, junior Emi Goto competes at the FHSAA Region 1-3A Championship.

Jake Willis, Guest Writer

Throughout the Swim and Dive season, we saw the team compete from districts to the state level and on the way there, breaking school records. In November, both a swimmer and a diver became the all-time best at Gulf Breeze High School at what they do.

During the FHSAA Region 1-3A Champion-ship on Nov. 3, 2021, junior Emi Goto beat the school record for the most points for 1 meter at 372.05. When asked how this was achieved Goto stated, “This season definitely required a lot of dedication, but was absolutely worth it in the end. I practice 3 times a week, making the most out of the time I get on the boards. This, along with the immense support from my parents, teammates, and coaches, allowed me to excel this season and surpass the previous record!”

Goto will return next season for her senior year and we might even see her break the record she set for herself. If she were to do this, she would be following Aiden Morgan’s example.

The swim record broken by Aiden Morgan during the State Championship on Nov. 13, 2021, for 100 breaststroke was at a time of 58.23 seconds. Being his senior year, this record is not only a personal best but also part of his legacy as a swimmer at Gulf Breeze High School.

This is not the first time he will have broken the breaststroke record, but this time he has beaten his own. When asked about the accolade Morgan said, “For the 100 breast I trained really well for it and was very satisfied where I was at in my swim career breaking my record again and I’m glad to have been part of the amazing Gulf Breeze swim team for four years those times in the swimming pool were the best I ever had.”

Morgan leaves behind a record that will be very difficult to pass, but is very proud of the Swim and Dive team all around for how they competed this season.