Flag Football Scores On and Off the Field

submitted by Amber Johnson

The lady dolphins flag football team huddles around head coach Leland Greene.

Emma Hartman Sumrall, Sports Editor

The Lady Dolphins flag football team has had a strong season. They’ve managed to hold their own amongst hard losses and close wins. Most impressive, they finally beat Navarre for the first time ever this year in both of their games against the Raiders. They have been trying to accomplish this for years, as Navarre is a formidable opponent on the field. But the Lady Dolphins put in the work and displayed the results on the football field.

They have also had successes off the field, most notably in the form of college signings. Seniors Aiyannah Robinson and Payton Tigano both signed to play flag football for Warner University, the first ever flag football signings for Gulf Breeze High School. Both girls are excited to play, and the rest of the team is proud of them, too.

Returning players are especially excited to play again, as player Addi Stikeleather put it: “We’re as close as sisters on this team, and everytime we play I enjoy it.”

This season was a good one for the lady dolphins, and head coach Leland Greene agreed. “As a coach it’s great to be around a team who competes at a high level, enjoys each other, and is very coachable. This season we continued to build on the success from last year. We were led in touchdowns by Meredith Pugh and were dominant on the defensive side of the ball, with Addi Stikeleather leading the team in flag pulls (stops). The most exciting part of the year was having so many different players contribute in significant ways on the field. The future of the program is in good hands next year with Carly Churchward returning as quarterback!”

Congrats to the flag football team and be on the lookout for what they do next!