Gulf Breeze Volleyball Wins 2022 District Championship 3-0 against Navarre 

Jonathan Rose

Coach Jasmine gives a pep talk to the varsity volleyball team

Kiera Decesare, Online Editor

The Gulf Breeze lady dolphin volleyball team won the district 6A championship 3-0 against Navarre High School and will play in the regional playoffs in the next coming weeks in pursuit of a state title. This is not the first time the dolphins have won the district championship, last year they beat Washington High School and secured the 2021 district title. 

Gulf Breeze won 3-0 in the district semifinals against Tate high school earlier in the playoffs. Gulf Breeze won the first set 25-19, the second 25-12 and the third 18-25. Every player was performing their best during the district final match. Gulf Breeze put the pressure on Navarre and caused them to take many timeouts in an attempt to stop the dolphin’s rhythm. Sophomore outside hitter Bella Satterwhite (#15) smashed through blocks with her powerful spikes, and many players got service aces, Junior setter Riley Bloomberg (#4), got 2 service aces in a row securing critical points and getting the team out of a rough spot. 

Team manager Kendall McCurdy says, “I am excited to see what the team can do. I love my teammates and have full faith in them, and I believe that we are going to go far in the upcoming playoff matches.” The Volleyball team has had many high points this season and they currently have a 23-3 record. Bloomberg says “The highlight of the season for me so far has been watching the other teams at the Tampa tournament.” 

The volleyball team works extremely hard every year and helps foster the players’ development. As a result of this, every year the GBHS volleyball team has a high chance of making it to regionals or beyond, last year the team made it to the regional semifinals before losing to Leon High School 3-1. McCurdy says, “As a senior, this is my last year of being a team manager, so I really hope we can make it to the State finals and hopefully win! 

We currently do not know when the next home game will be but be sure to support your lady dolphins! McCurdy says, “The schools continued support and our amazing student section means the world to me and the team.” Gulf Breeze will continue playing in the State championship. They will play in the regional playoffs in the next coming weeks.