Senior highlights

Varsity player Caden Conway signals to his teammate during a home game.

submitted by Landon Boger

Ethan Horn, Staff Writer

Seniors are an undeniable asset to high school sports, and this is no different at GBHS. Seniors bring experience to the biggest moments and sportsmanship to the worst. Seniors around GBHS gave their favorite experiences playing high school sports.  

Caden Conway, a Senior baseball player, shared his favorite memory playing high school baseball. Conway said, “My favorite memory is winning the district championship my sophomore year.” Conway also shared that his coaches and teammates played a crucial role in his career. Conway said, “The coach who made the biggest impact on me was Coach Clayton. He taught me to push my limits to what I didn’t know I had and never give up on myself.” Conway also added his least favorite part of leaving GBHS. Conway said, “My least favorite part of my senior year is that it’s going to end. I’m going to miss being around my family.” Conway plans to attend PSC (Pensacola State College) and walk onto the baseball team. 

Peyton Tatro, a Senior soccer player, spoke about his best performance during the season. Tatro said, “My best performance was against Catholic at Catholic. I had to score a hat trick to get extra credit and I did.” Tatro also added that he was awarded the, “Golden Boot,” award for scoring the most goals in the season. Tatro said that his favorite memory from his senior year was, “Scoring two goals and recording an assist to win our Senior night game against Choctaw (Choctawhatchee High School).” Tatro plans to attend Southern Union State Community College to continue his athletic career.  

Jack Banks, a Senior basketball player, played a crucial role in his team’s success this season. When asked about his favorite memory from this season, Banks said, “My favorite memory was winning our back-to-back district championships against Tate.” Banks was selected for the all-area 2nd team, all-star for our county, and has been selected to play for team Florida. When asked about his personal best performance, Banks said, “My best game was against Pace. I had 25 points.” Banks plans to attend Maine Maritime Academy to continue his basketball career. 

John Millican, a Senior Lacrosse player, spoke about which teammate made the biggest impact on him. Millican said, “I’d have to say Will Benz. He always pushed me to do my best.” When asked about what his least favorite part of his Senior year was, Millican said, “My least favorite part was losing to Catholic.” Millican later added that he was awarded the Most Improved player award during his junior year. Millican plans to attend the University of Montevallo after high school. 

Troy Coughlin, a Senior football player, has had a very impressive career at GBHS. When asked about which coach and player had the biggest impact on him, Coughlin said, “Coach Clayton and Battle Alberson. They both pushed me to do my best.” Coughlin said he has been awarded the Offensive Player of the Year twice. When asked about his best performance in a game, Coughlin said, “My best performance was against Milton and I ran for 200 yards and two touchdowns.” Coughlin plans to attend the University of West Florida to continue his athletic career.